THUMPERRRR's picture

Plainville’s Central Cafe shut down after fight between rival biker gangs

PLAINVILLE — Central Café has been ordered to close indefinitely after police say a fight broke out between two biker gangs, resulting in motorcyclists fleeing the scene in an unsafe manner.

Plainville Police Chief Matthew Catania reported that two similar incidents have occurred at the bar recently and stated that “it is not likely that we have seen the last of this type of behavior at this location,” according to a letter to restaurant permittee Shirley Papallo from Consumer Protection Commissioner Michelle Seagull.

“Based upon the foregoing, DCP finds that public health, safety and welfare imperatively requires emergency action … and orders your café liquor permit suspended immediately and premises closed,” Seagull wrote in the letter. Papallo did not immediately respond to email requests for comment.

THUMPERRRR's picture

Plainville man arrested after Zen Bar beating

A Plainville man was arrested on a felony assault charge after he seriously injured another patron during a December bar assault, police said.

Anthony Sidoti, 24, of Whiting Street in Plainville turned himself in Monday on a charge of first-degree assault, first-degree reckless endangerment and breach of peace, they said.

His bail was set at $100,000, but it was reduced to $15,000 during his arraignment in Superior Court in Bristol, court records show.

According to the warrant for Sidoti’s arrest, the bloodied victim called police after the assault and when officers arrived, he told them he was beaten in the bar for no reason. He was taken to Hartford Hospital.

THUMPERRRR's picture

Norwich man accused of aiding attack facing 6 months in prison

NEW LONDON - A Norwich man accused of helping a fellow motorcycle club member avenge an attack on a woman is facing nine months in prison after agreeing to a plea deal.

Sean Simmons, 30, pleaded guilty Monday in New London Superior Court to third-degree burglary and second-degree unlawful restraint. He is scheduled to be sentenced on Jan. 16.

According to Norwich police, Simmons and Christopher Manuel, both members of the Legion of Doom Motorcycle Club, went to a Norwich home on Oct. 21, 2017, after a woman reported the attack. Simmons held down another occupant of the home while Manuel punched the attacker, Assistant State’s Attorney Lawrence Tytla said.

Manuel agreed to a plea deal last week and is scheduled to be sentenced Jan. 9 to 18 months in prison.

THUMPERRRR's picture

Fed, state, local authorities charge Middletown garage owner with illegal operation

MIDDLETOWN >> A 43-year-old city man was arrested after local, state and federal authorities discovered he was allegedly running an illegal car repair operation and had an illegally altered pistol hidden in his office located near a housing project, according to Middletown police.

The arrest was made after members of the Middletown Police Department Street Crime Unit and Connecticut State Police Auto Theft Task Force served a warrant Wednesday at 50 Walnut St.

A three-month investigation had revealed that owner Joseph Walden III, 43, of High Meadow Lane was allegedly operating the garage without a license, according to authorities. Walden, who operates Walden Enterprises and is a member of the Ruthless for Life Motorcycle Club, serves as regional president, police said.

THUMPERRRR's picture

Biker Sentenced For Savage Hells Angels Beating

An associate of the Hells Angels Motorcycle Club was sentenced to 30 months in prison Thursday for setting up a gang beating that an extortion victim somehow survived after being stabbed, stomped, blinded in one eye and beaten so severely with a hammer that most bones in his face were shattered.

Federal prosecutors said Howard Hammer, 45, of New Milford, drove a group of outlaw bikers to a motel in New Milford where the bikers nearly killed the unidentified victim in January 2016. Hammer pleaded guilty to extortion, admitting that he threatened the victim over an unpaid $1,500 loan and set up the assault. But he was not accused of direct involvement in the beating and has refused to identify those who were directly involved.

THUMPERRRR's picture

Connecticut court upholds conviction of man who shot to death motorcycle club leader in 2008

HARTFORD, Connecticut — Connecticut's second-highest court upheld Monday the murder conviction of a former Watertown man serving a 40-year prison sentence for killing a motorcycle club leader in Torrington in 2008.

Kevin Campbell, 58, argued that he shot Roland Lagasse to death in self-defense outside the Forbidden Motorcycle Club's headquarters, and he wouldn't have been arrested if Connecticut had a stand-your-ground law.

But the state Appellate Court rejected all of Campbell's arguments, which included that prosecutorial impropriety deprived him of a fair trial and the trial judge wrongly rejected defense expert testimony.